People are looking to the internet and social media with questions.
– What are cannabinoids used to treat and how might these products help me?
– How do I use them and at what dose?
– Topicals, tinctures, gummies? Which one should I try?
– Where can I buy CBD products?
– What is the difference between CBD from the dispensary and CBD online?
– If it doesn’t get me high, how will it make me feel?
Flower & Tonic was founded to answer those questions for you.
WHAT WE DO
Flower & Tonic is committed to evaluating the safety, quality, and efficacy of the many plant-based medicinal products on the market.
We have researched, lab-tested, tasted and tried hundreds and CBD products to introduce you to the best. We work closely with laboratories, researchers, clinicians, cultivators, manufacturers, distributors, attorneys, and opinion leaders.
By asking the right questions to the right people we hope to clarify misinformation.
Our hope is to provide consumers responsible information on dosing, side effects, and other important factors to help you make the best decisions about your health
As a hopeful alternative to prescription medication, we infuse pharmaceutical standards into an unregulated space where CBD lives.
why trust us ?
Soccer mom standards
F&T was the first site to test finished products off the shelf. We bring samples to the lab ourselves because 3rd party testing means very little in the unregulated space where CBD lives.
We meet soccer mom standards, hard to do…and feel quite confident you will not be disappointed in any of the products we recommend.
Good marketing vs good science
Most consumers are buying products from professional marketers paying high commissions to bloggers.
At F&T we’re not business people and neither are the doctors and scientists who make some of the best products.
We are confident that you’ll love the brands we introduce and continue to come back to Flower & Tonic as we learn and ask questions directly to the industry science experts.
A little fair balance
Side effects, warnings, and drug interactions are not highlighted often enough but they are real and consumers need to be educated.
In our opinion, a little fair balance goes a long way.
Videos to help tell the story
CNN Why I changed my mind Dr. Gupta
3 min 21
Stink Trailer 2 min 31
The Business of CBD
The nutrients in the green beans picked fresh when ripe is very different than the nutrients in your favorite frozen green beans casserole. Basically, the same is true for hemp-derived CBD products. All products are not created equally – not by a long shot!
- “CBD gummies” reached No. 3 on Google’s most popular search terms.
- CBD sales in the US are expected to reach $22 billion by 2022, 40 times the $600 million posted in 2018 according to Yahoo finance.
- CBD falls into the “dietary supplements” market which includes vitamins and minerals, herbs, glands, amino acids, and enzymes. These supplements are sold as tablets, capsules, gel caps, powders, or liquids.
- Homeopathic products and “natural remedies” made up a significant share of the $35.9 billion dietary supplements spend in 2018 (according to a recent Forbes article). These products can go to market without any safety, purity, or quality testing by the FDA. While it costs millions of dollars to develop and substantiate a pharmaceutical product, selling supplements require no such investment. “FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed. The manufacturers and distributors of dietary supplements are responsible for making sure their products are safe BEFORE they go to market”
The importance of testing CBD products
The CBD market has exploded with thousands of new products, however there is still no federal oversight in place. In 2017, sales among the top 20 hemp CBD companies accounted for 1/3 of the market. Last year, that number increased to 2/3 of the market. Sadly, people looking for alternative health solutions are spending millions on products that will never work.
- Affiliate link commission rates often create the “winner” – some companies will pay a 5% sale commission to bloggers who promote their products and some companies will pay 40% for the same promotion or referral. A blogger is running a business as well so it’s easy to understand how the top brands got so big, it is good marketing.
- Scanning through the list of “top 10 CBD companies” I can firmly say that with the exception of 1-2 companies, those are not the brands most experts that would recommend to their own family and friends.
- According to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, only 3 of the 10 products sampled were accurately labeled regarding the levels of CBD and THC they contained. Some were found to have CBD levels so low that any potential clinical value was negated. Others had THC levels high enough to give the unsuspecting consumer a slight buzz.
- Many of the hemp-based products sold on the market have little to no Cannabidiol (CBD), falling far short of the product label claims. Larger, well-known companies are just as guilty of these deceptive practices than anyone else. FDA Published Testing results of CBD Products are listed here. Hemp-based extracts used as the base of these products may contain contaminants like certain molds and/or heavy metals.
Our hope is to be a resource to patients, consumers, doctors, and pharmacists looking for options outside of mainstream medicine, specifically, Alternatives Based In Science (ABIS).
Founder, Pharmaceutical Science
As a former pharmaceutical representative, I was trained to understand how the human body processes chemicals – from proper dosing to clinical benefits and managing adverse side effects.
I learned about CBD (or CBD oil) over 2 years ago. When a college friend, now a Primary Care Physician in Colorado, told me about CBD, she listed the many ways it could potentially help, which made me immediately skeptical.
How could CBD treat my PMS, soothe a toothache, calm my daughter’s acne, and alleviate my dog’s seizures?
I believe “If it sounds too good to be true, it is.”
She rubbed some CBD cream on an eczema patch on my arm that I had thought would never disappear. The next day, after just one application, I could not believe the patch was gone and my research on CBD began.
My perspective on conventional medicine and alternative practices shifted and I began seeing some validity in what these “natural doctors” were saying.
I wanted Alternatives Based In Science (ABIS), some proof that these alternatives worked along with the how and why.
It was with that intention that I declined an offer to return to the pharmaceutical industry and became determined to infuse a pharmaceutical approach into the alternative medicine space.
In that spirit Flower & Tonic was formed to help consumers find the best products.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive info on new products and Flower & Tonic exclusives
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products referenced on this site are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. As the consumer, it is your responsibility to know your local, state and federal laws before making any purchases. Prior to purchasing a product(s) on this website, you should confirm legality of the product in the state where you request shipment.
© Copyright 2018 Flower & Tonic, LLC All Rights Reserved.